Vaccine Passports Will Not Be Introduced In England, Says Sajid Javid
The government “will not be going ahead with plans for vaccine passports” in England, Sajid Javid has said.
Plans had been announced that people would be required to show proof they have had two doses of a Covid-19 vaccine in order to gain entry to clubs and other large-scale events in England.
But speaking to the BBC’s Andrew Marr show on Sunday, the health secretary the policy had been ditched.
“I’ve never liked the idea of saying to people you must show your papers or something to do what is just an everyday activity, but we were right to properly look at it,” he said.
“We’ve looked at it properly and whilst we should keep it in reserve as a potential option, I’m pleased to say that we will not be going ahead with plans for vaccine passports.”
The plan had triggered a backlash from Tory MPs who were opposed to the idea.
In a separate interview, Javid also said he expected the booster vaccination programme to start this month.
“There is evidence of waning immunity, particularly in older people, more vulnerable people. And we are already taking action on that,” he told Sky News.
“So for example just a week ago I announced that those people that are immuno-suppressed that they should get a third jab as part of their primary treatment. That has already started.
“And in terms of a general booster programme, we have asked the JCVI to look into this. They gave me interim advice a month or so ago where they supported this, but they said they wanted to do some further work. We have given them the time to do that work.
“But I believe we will be able to start our booster programme, subject to their final advice, on schedule this month.”
This is a breaking news story and will be updated. Follow HuffPost UK on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.