A teenager who believes her drink was spiked while she was out at a bar has warned people to be “more cautious” on nights out.
The 19-year-old, who asked not to be named, had been at a bar in Leeds with some friends when she believes her drink was spiked with a “drug substance” at around 11pm on Friday (September 3).
The young woman, who said she had not left her drink unattended, was then taken to A&E after she begun experiencing the effects of the unknown substance.
For more crime news from across Leeds, head to our dedicated homepage
She has been left “horrified” by the incident and now wants to warn others to be more careful when they’re out.
Speaking to Leeds Live, she said: “I went out Friday night and I was with a group of friends.
“Had a couple of drinks and felt fine. Shortly after I started to change, felt extremely drunk.
“Which then changed into effects of a drug substance.
“I’m unsure who might’ve spiked it or how it’s actually happened but I didn’t leave my drink unattended all night.
“I’m quite confused about the night after that other than ending up in hospital. I ended up in A&E with effects from a drug substance.”
The incident has left the 19-year-old feeling “scared”.
Describing the incident as “absolutely horrifying”, she said: “Even now I am scared to go out knowing what could potentially happen. But I wouldn’t let it stop me.”
Enter your postcode to see local issues near you
The teenager wants to speak out to ensure what happened to her doesn’t happen to anyone else.
She said: “I want to raise as much awareness as possible as what happened I wouldn’t want to happen to anyone else.
“I’d like people to be more cautious about not leaving their drink unattended, being aware of their surroundings and things that could potentially happen on a night out.”
She added: “Please be extra cautious if you go out!”
The teenager also warned that even people in big groups could be at risk.
She said: “No matter how big or small the group of people you are with it can still happen.
“I was with a big group of people and it still happened.”
To get the latest email updates from LeedsLive, click here.