A 17-year-old boy attending his first-ever festival was attacked with acid in the middle of a Leeds Festival crowd at the weekend.
Olly Spencer-Littlewood, from Wyke near Bradford, was enjoying a DJ set in the early hours of Sunday morning when he felt a liquid hit his legs.
In the bustling crowd he assumed somebody had spilled a drink while dancing but the sensation quickly “escalated to burning”.
Olly was near the stage at the time so climbed over the fence and alerted a marshall who quickly assessed him and took him to the medical tent.
There, an ambulance was called while the liquid was washed off with water before Olly was rushed to York Hospital for further treatment at around 2.30am.
Olly’s dad, Craig Littlewood, explained: “They cleaned him up at the hospital and reported back it is acid of some description.
“It’s not the worst kind that makes your skin falls off but it’s still `bad enough to do the damage.”
Olly was wearing shorts at the time and the acid has injured both legs. On one he has a circular of around five inches that has blistered.
“The worst thing is it’s his first-ever festival,” said Craig. “It’s like a one-off to him, it’s cost him a lot of money, and he’s come away possibly scarred, we don’t know.
“He’s actually said to me, ‘I don’t think I could go to another one’, and I totally understand why. I don’t blame you mate to be fair.”
Olly’s wounds were dressed at the hospital and the bandages have been on since.
He will find in the next day or so how bad the burns are and whether he is likely to be scarred by the incident.
West Yorkshire Police have launched an investigation.
Craig continued: “I’ve got no blame towards Leeds Fest. That’s an individual that’s gone there with something to harm someone.
“I’m in my late 40s and ex-Forces and my mentality is I just can’t comprehend it, what idiot goes in there with that?
“I’ve really lost a few days sleep with it because it’s not sinking in that some idiot would do it.”
Enter your postcode to see crimes reported in your area
For his part, Olly “just can’t believe that someone would do it.”
His dad said: “He’s a confident lad and he’s never been in trouble with anything and he’s gone there thinking it’s a once in a lifetime thing because it’s so expensive.
“Looking at any other report of the festival you wouldn’t have a clue this happened so why should we keep quiet.”
Multiple family members have contacted Leeds Festival about the incident but are yet to receive a reply.
Leeds Live contacted the organisers but they declined to comment.
To get the latest email updates from LeedsLive, click here.